Full Job Description
PagerDuty is interviewing, onboarding, and working 100% virtually at this time. As we look to the future, we plan to be ‘distributed by design’, meaning unless your job requirements make it necessary to be in a PagerDuty office, you may choose to work in-office, remotely, or hybrid. We’re focused on inclusion and employee well-being by building a culture that isn’t location specific, and gives equal opportunity to everyone—regardless of where you are working.
PagerDuty is a digital operations management platform that empowers the right action, when seconds matter.
For the teams who build and run digital systems, PagerDuty is the best way to manage the urgent, mission-critical work that is essential to keeping digital services always on. We make it easy to handle any unplanned task, event, or opportunity, right away.
We’re growing fast and looking for ambitious people who share our values and customer devotion mindset to join our high caliber team.
Do you relish the opportunity to design, build and run mission critical applications? Do you want to get the attention of hundreds of thousands of engineers and technology leaders around the globe 24/7 so they can fix problems? Yes? Then read on to find out more about what makes PagerDuty a great place to be an Engineer!
As a Software Engineer at PagerDuty, you’ll be part of a team that’s intensely focused on our customers and the engineering community. We design, build, and run robust systems that extend and enhance our amazing products. Of course, we use our own products ourselves!
How You Contribute to Our Vision: Key Responsibilities
- From day one, you’ll be designing, coding, testing and shipping front-end interfaces, APIs, or backend applications and microservices that ensure we deliver secure, highly reliable and scalable solutions to our customers.
- Since we own and operate what we build, you’ll collaborate closely with engineers across teams.
- We practice Chaos Engineering, so you’ll be involved in our weekly Failure Friday sessions, where we deliberately break our systems, find weaknesses, and fix them proactively.
- With 10,000+ global customers and growing, you’ll be solving really interesting technical challenges while helping to scale our product to keep up with demand.
- Participating in your team’s on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues as they arise
About You: Skills and Attributes
- You have a track record of participating in and delivering successful engineering projects
- You’ve had experience implementing distributed and highly available systems, and have opinions about what works and what doesn’t
- You are comfortable with loosely defined requirements where you exercise your analytical skills to clarify questions, share your approach and collaborate with the rest of the team to build/test elegant solutions
- You have a drive to get results without letting anything get in your way
- You have a desire to stay ahead of the latest industry trends and technologies, a track record of sharing contributions to the wider engineering community and a commitment to continuous learning
- You have an understanding of the importance of empathy: you should have an open mind to others – no matter how senior or junior they are
- You have a calm, assertive approach to diagnosing and fixing urgent problems
- Development experience working on customer-facing and web – based systems
- Experience designing, building, and operating large systems with scalability, availability, and performance requirements
- Experience working in an agile environment with iterative development and fast feedback
- Mastery of at least one web programming framework (e.g. Ruby on Rails, Phoenix/Elixir)
- Experience with at least one front-end web framework (React, Ember, Backbone)
- Experience with tools that ensure your high quality work makes a smooth, automated, repeatable transition from your machine to our staging and production environments
- Competitive salaries and company equity
- ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Program)
- Retirement plan with company match
- Comprehensive benefits package from day one
– Company paid parental leave – up to 22 weeks for pregnant parent, up to 12 weeks for non-pregnant parent
– Paid vacation time – 3 weeks accruing in first year, 4 weeks accruing every year after
- Paid holidays and sick leave
– Paid employee volunteer time – 20 hours per year
- Bi-annual company-wide hack weeks
- Mental wellness programs
PagerDuty, Inc. (NYSE:PD) is a leader in digital operations management, serving over 13,800 customers and 700,000 users in 90 countries, including 60% of the Fortune 100. Led by CEO Jennifer Tejada, 50% of our board of directors is comprised of women, 45% of our managers are from underrepresented groups, and we are a proud member of the Pledge 1% Movement, committed to donating 1% Equity, 1% Employee time, and 1% Product to accelerate change in our communities.
At PagerDuty, we believe you do your best work in a culture that fosters inclusion, well-being, and innovation. As a Dutonian, you will have ample opportunities to advance your career and connect with colleagues: virtual all hands calls, learning & development programs, bi-annual hack weeks, volunteering events, ERGs (employee-run groups focused on cultivating a sense of belonging for all) – there’s something for everyone. Learn more on Instagram, @pagerdutylife.
From how we build our teams to who sits in the boardroom, we hope you can see yourself at PagerDuty.
PagerDuty is for people. Meaning, we extend opportunities to a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you’re new to the corporate world, returning to work after a gap in employment, or simply looking to transition or take the next step in your career path, we are excited to connect with you.
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application process. Should you require accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with local requirements.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
To all recruitment agencies: PagerDuty does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, PagerDuty employees or any other company location. PagerDuty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.